Sunday, November 8, 2009

Martin 's fest!

My host mom told me we were going somewhere at six. I got ready,came out of the house with her. Surprisingly we weren't going by car. As we were walking she told me about the fest we were going to Martin 's fest. It is celebrated everywhere specially in the area I stay. And we were going for the one in my village. We went and saw this parade of people which had fire in their hands,and little children carrying little lamps. It just felt like Diwali in the first sight because of the light^^. And then I met Marcos( the mexican exchange student). It was actually amazing to see the little children's lamps as they were all possible different colours and shapes and sizes! Like there was a little paper doll, a hallowen pumpkin to everything you can imagine. They all had lights as it gets dark at around 5.30 these days. Yes,was really strange for me in the beginning too! Leading the parade was Martin on a horse. I was busy taking pictures the whole time as I totally love kids^^. But after a while I just looked around . Me and Marcos both thought it was actually creepy. Imagine! It was like all dark and little kids and people with light and fires in their hands were randomly walking. Ofcourse they had great music with it. My host parents told me that they actually have different songs for this fest. After walking around in the parade we all went to this kindergarden school. There was a line for the entrance. All the little children and the people who played music(which includes my host dad) were getting breads by Martin. And being kids but still not exactly kids me and Marcos wanted breads too^^. I stood in the line and walked in front of Martin but I didn't get a bread :/. Then I came back where Marcos and my host mom where standing. It was so funny! Then my host dad somehow got us breads :P. I just wanted to walk in front of Martin with that bread in my mouth and show him :D(tuk tuk as we say in marathi). They were sweet,and sugar coated, pretty nice. Everyone sat,including all the kids and their parents. I am in Germany. Ofcourse there has to be drinks. And this time it wasn't beer! It was wine. Red wine,which was hot! It was cold and drinking hot wine was a great idea. Again Germans are smart people ;). After everyone settling in there was some kind of prize distribution for the children. They would call all the children of the same age group,the choose the best lamp,and then give prizes. This little kid who was sitting opposite me was great entertainment. He used to cry,laugh demand for beer(once..ehhehe). And he won the first prize for the best lamp in his age group(You can see a photo of him and his lamp). And got this cool police car set and a bunch of things more. And everyone got prizes! I wished I had made one lamp too^^.



The next day:
Me Marcos Signe and Marcos 's host family went to see the same Martin 's fest in Ahrweiler. (its a big village/town nearby). There was a competition between four groups of young boys. They had to set up fire pictures in the wine fields. The wine fields were far but we could still see all the pictures. I can't even imagine how big they would be :). Then we Marcos,Signe just went around looking at things,eating,drinking. We entered this candy store and saw candy cigarettes. We had so much fun with them. So many pictures and posing to smoke. (Aai Baba don't worry after seeing the pictures its just chocolate. I swear,tumchi mulgi ajun bigadali nahi e :P).

No comments:

Post a Comment